T he Greening Funeral Home was first established in Clarence, MO, in 1952, when brothers Virgil and Pete Greening along with their wives Evelyn and Sue purchased the Lewis Hopper Funeral Home. In 1957, Virgil and Pete expanded their business to Shelbyville, MO, when they purchased Ernest Thompson Funeral Home. Along with running the funeral home in both towns, they also provided families with an ambulance service. In 1977, the two brothers purchased Davis Funeral Home in Shelbina, MO, from J.D. Davis. At this time Pete’s son-in-law Ralph Eagan and his wife Glenna became partners in the funeral home. A corporation was established in 1983, with the Hayes Funeral Home in Shelbina and the firm became known as Greening-Eagan-Hayes Funeral Home. Ralph’s oldest son Corey joined the family business in 1999. In 2003, Greening-Eagan-Hayes purchased Carney-Armstrong Funeral Home in Macon and Bevier. At this time Brian Hayes joined the firm. In 2005, Ralph’s second son Kyle Eagan moved to Macon and joined Greening-Eagan-Hayes. Greening-Eagan-Hayes then purchased Hutton & McElwain Funeral Homes in Macon and Bevier and Gilleland & McElwain in New Cambria from Gary and Kathy McElwain in 2007. Greening-Eagan-Hayes Funeral Homes has always been a family funeral home serving its community with care and compassion in its most troubling time.